Sunday, 19 April 2015

Bowing to the inevitable

Apparently the top left and bottom right faces are cats ... You need to squint a bit!



When I started writing this blog, my children were very small - one had just started school, one was still at  nursery. They're quite a lot taller now, and live life at about a million miles an hour while I run behind trying to keep up with them.

But, I must confess that in the middle of all the after school activities and homework and house untidying, they manage to fit in quite a bit of time playing Minecraft. OK, a *lot* of time playing Minecraft. I haven't actually played myself, but they seem to be having a fine time building online worlds and playing together. And while in school holidays and at weekends it can seem to be taking over, I remind myself that they also both play instruments and belong to sports clubs, as well as being busy at school, and as a child I probably spent just as much time watching TV as they do playing.

Anyway, just before Christmas I saw a tutorial for making patchwork Minecraft cushions. For those who are unfamiliar, the faces are highly pixellated and translate easily into *very* simple patchwork. So, I started by making Steve, the face all players start off with. And then I moved on to Stampy Longnose, who is apparently some sort of cat. They're angling for more - including a rather disturbing looking squid! But I think perhaps they can make those themselves ...


10 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no knowledge of Minecraft. All the same, I found this post and the photographs of your patchwork very intriguing. You've most likely seen the huge grid-based paintings that Chuck Close began to create after having had a stroke. I've always found CC's gallery exhibits fascinating. Pixelllation has no limitations.

    Please do keep us posted about how this all develops around your house. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I've also seen Minecraft done as a crochet spread, using squares to pixilate the character, but I can't remember where! Getting them to do it themselves is a good idea....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the dark side! *wink* Yes, we know all about Minecraft here! Great cushions too :-)
    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea about Minecraft, is it a game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fab - I'm sure lots of people would like to buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How Fun! I don't know anything about Minecraft, but the fact that you're making fun projects for your children makes you a VERY good Mummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have emerged out of the other side of the Minecraft years. Unscathed, but also uncushioned - yours are rather fab indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. and once again the mother of the year prize goes toooooooooo.... YOU!

    (I'm still having enormous sense of failure when I think of your Harry Potter set... sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utter genius. My girls have been coveting these for some months. I need to show them this post. Oh and you know what will arrive in this house next week. Something similar may be in my making future....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.