Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Justification for junk



My house is frequently a mess. There are boxes and boxes of wool and fabric stashed away (and frequently not stashed away), endless books of maths and Latin and violin and piano music, willow and rush offcuts on the kitchen floor, clean laundry piled on the beds waiting to be put away, a dishwasher full of clean dishes needing to be emptied and dirty ones stacked ready to replace them ... you get the picture.



But sometimes, just sometimes, my inability to throw anything away proves very useful. Today, for example, I am having lunch with a work friend but have no time to shop this morning and anyway, my knee makes shopping trips a trial rather than a pleasure at the moment. But ... last year I made a lot of jewellery for craft fairs, and I have some earrings and necklaces left along with the organza bags and pillow boxes and cord I used to package them. And look! There's a birthday card bought on the offchance of needing it one day. Sorted.

Also, last week the children's craft group at the local church wanted to make lighthouses, but the battery operated tealights they had ordered didn't arrive in time. Guess who just happened to have 30 stashed away ready for a project next year? 

And I'm finally getting round to making little penguins from a pattern I bought two Christmases ago. It calls for felt, stuffing, tiny black brads for eyes and empty mint tins. No problem.



I realise that having large bags of battery tealights is probably not normal behaviour. I'm hoping I can keep my tendencies in check sufficiently to avoid being featured on a Channel 4 special but it's touch and go ...

Please reassure me that I'm not alone - or am I?

18 comments:

  1. Ha ha ~ your house sounds like my house! My hubby is always having a go at me for being such a messy hoarder but as you have just demonstrated these hoarded things do indeed come in very handy! Love that little penguin too ~ he is a cutie :O)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better I also have a large stash of battery tea lights (two boxes in fact) for a garden lantern project that never quite came about! I did use one inside the gingerbread house last Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each and every item is essential..don't you throw away one thing! I LOVE the penguins. : Dx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha... I was going to say don't worry/same here... but the 30 battery operated tea lights? You trump me there.

    I could get worried!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could be describing my house. Even down to the Latin books and willow. Only difference is that I don't have a bag battery operated tea lights, but I guess your supply is diminished now.

    I do have a rather large box of blank papier mache christmas decorations from several Christmases ago. It's the box that if someone had to clear the house, they would shrug their shoulders.

    Sweet idea with the lighthouse. *squirrels away another good idea*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only half a dozen battery tea lights here, but otherwise it all rings true - so no, you are not alone! Well done for putting it to good use, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No battery tea lights here but I do have lots of things stashed away...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, isn't it wonderful when you can finally use something that you've been hoarding for too long? I keep telling myself that it's time for a good clean-out, but I'm always sorry when I do that, so I've been putting it off. If I put it off long enough, my kids will have a big mess to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are SO not alone. I managed an entire English Civil war costume (complete with musket bandolier) without having to go near a shop. Don't know if I should be proud or ashamed...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house sounds a lot like mine, but even so, I am impressed that you not only had 30 battery-operated tealights (which I did not know exist til now), but most especially that you knew where to find them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No battery tea lights, but lots and lots of stuff!

    I worry about people with tidy empty houses - what do they do?

    Hope the knee is gradually mending
    C xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, constantly adding to the general stash at a faster rate than I use it up. Wiponder where the point of critical mass will be ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't say that I've been hording battery operated tealights, but I discovered a box of reptile bedding in the attic the other day, thing is, we've never owned a reptile (and bought this house from new so it's not a left behind thing either).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just hoping that my husband never opens up any of the many boxes and discovers what he is certain to label as 'trash' inside. He has a bad habit of throwing things away without asking and does not have the imagination to realise how useful it might be one day to have a stack of small cardboard squares

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not one single battery powered tea light around here, but lots of those empty mint tins. It is very difficult for me to throw away, or even donate to a charity thrift show something that I truly think will be able to rise to a future need.

    Thank you for your encouragement for this way of life. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hoarding stuff is a useful "illness" to have :) I suspect that nearly all us crafters suffer from it. My hubbie always tells me "One thing in, one thing out" but it never happens!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah sounds like our house, but it's soooooo gratifying when something you've had hanging around finally proves it's worth and get used - hope your knee is getting better. Bx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.