Sunday, 16 November 2014

Cure-all cookery

Tea & biscuits


A couple of weeks ago I hurt my knee in a ridiculous racing up the stairs and swerving suddenly incident. I'm having physio and doing my exercises, but the predicted recovery time is ... depressingly long. Perfect for sitting and weaving and knitting, hopeless for walking and stomping through leaves.


Baking


Anyway, this weekend it's been pretty sore and the weather hasn't helped my mood - it has been particularly grey and November-ish and yesterday I found myself craving biscuits. Not just any old biscuits - comforting, spicy, warm, knee healing biscuits. Magical biscuits.


K beater
The K beater from my beloved ancient Kenwood mixer. It belonged to my mother in law, and
is the same model my mum had when I was little. 

And as it turned out, non-existent biscuits - the cupboard was empty, and no one had the energy to go out and buy any. I thought of making some, but couldn't find any I liked the look of. It was that sort of day.

Dough

But today - well, today it's all come together in the form of a recipe from Country Homes and Interiors of all places. These biscuits are very sweet - possibly too sweet, if I'm honest. They're also a bit ramshackle - I don't think I chilled the dough for long enough and they spread with joyous abandon and all met up in a great big friendly biscuit cuddle. But paired with a cup of tea, they are *exactly* what I need this afternoon.

Biscuit hug


(I tried to find this recipe online but it doesn't seem to be up yet - this is my adaptation of their recipe as I didn't have all the ingredients they suggested)

Spice biscuits
120g butter
180g caster sugar
1 egg
3 tsp mixed spice
220g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg & golden syrup. Add spice, flour & baking powder. Roll into a  cling filmed cylinder and chill for at least an hour - I think even longer would be better.

Slice dough and bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes. These get very crunchy as they cool - yum!



10 comments:

  1. They look like just what the doctor ordered! Hope your knee is 'on the up' x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buggerations to ridiculous injuries. Please take it slowly or it will be even longer before it is fixed (I speak from experience...).
    And hip hip hip-erations to magical tasty biscuits. I hope you scoffef the lot, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. And forgot to say how lovely it is to hear from you...x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about ramshackle biscuits. Sign me up.

    (That knee injury sounds incredibly painful. Hope it takes long enough to heal that you're forced to enjoy some relaxation time, but short enough that you don't go completely batso.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your knee heals soon. Enough to make anyone miserable especially with this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad news about the knee - take it carefully, won't you? Hope that the biscuits worked some magic for you - they sound lovely! I made ginger biscuits yesterday, perhaps biscuit need was nationwide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to see you again! Sorry that you are hurting though, get well soon, won't you.

    You have now made me crave biscuits but, since I can't be bothered to bake and my car is out of action, I shall have to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. COOKIES!!!! I LOVE Cookies! Winter is the perfect time for them too. These look wonderful -- thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope your knee heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good to me. Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope it gets better soon. You are the third blogger I visit who has had a mishap, must be something in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  10. magic biscuits. quite brilliant. heal soon x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.