Monday, 27 January 2014

Rather more than 52 loaves


Clockwise from top left: Shipton Mill overnight loaf; River Cottage muffins; treacle plait; roti


At the rate we're going, I shall have baked far more than 52 loaves this year, and will end up the size of a house, or at least a generous caravan. I am finding that homemade bread is more filling than shop bought so that while I am baking most days, they are little loaves and many are using wholegrain flours and/or seeds.

So, this week the successes have included and overnight rising bread which started with a tiny bit of yeast (recipe here); River Cottage English muffins which are far too delicious to be legal; a plaited loaf from an old Bake Off book that had treacle in it and turned rather brown; and an old favourite, roti that puff up if you get them just right and are gorgeous wrapped around curried chickpeas. Yum Yum.


Evil in bread form

There was, however, one complete disaster. I had been so looking forward to making this loaf, called the Hazel Maizel. It includes maize meal and apple juice and sounded really interesting. It baked up well, looked good and my husband seemed to like it. I cut & buttered two slices for my bread obsessed smaller daughter. After a couple of bites she said "Erm, I'm not that hungry actually, mum," and went off to get ready for school. Not wanting to waste the precious crumbs, I took a bit bite. Oh. Oh dear. I thought I was going to have to spit it out. It was still kicking round the kitchen the next morning, which is unheard of. Needless to say, I shan't be making it again.


Full of promise ...

As to the next batch - exciting times ahead as I start experimenting with a rye sourdough starter that has gone through the first week or so of maturation and is just about ready for use ...

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with the soughdough... I've never quite mastered it and always seem to forget about it at a crucial time. Love the sound of homemade English muffins though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, have fun with the sourdough. I've had a go and it worked well but we decided we didn't really like sour dough that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm hungry!!! Those muffins look fabulous! Have you tried the River Cottage flatbreads in Veg Everyday - we love them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness it does sound like fun round at your house, all that delicious bread! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love to make our own bread when we have time. I have only made mainly normal loaves and as always they get eaten the same day.
    I have never tried sourdough...
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. homemade muffins sound fab. I love sour dough bread but have never even tried to make it, good luck with your starter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My tummy is now rumbling! I love homemade bread and we like to make our own as often as we can. I have not tried some of the ones shown here but I shall look into some for trying over half term.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to bake but have never been much of a bread maker (It is my favourite food to eat though!) all your makes look fantastic, I may give the muffins a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh that all does look rather good. I'm off to take a look at that recipe - such a shame about the last loaf.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The roti sound great, you're doing brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a loaf today, nothing like a fresh hot slice of bread from the oven. The rye sour dough sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, those muffins. I have got to make muffins. And a batch of roti. And a treacle plait. Now look what you've done........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm fresh warm bread is just so moreish, which is the danger when you bake it as it calls to you from the bread bin 'eat me, eat me' !
    The roti look good, I'm going to find a recipe as it's not something I've made before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those English muffins really do look appealing! And nothing holds more melted butter than a hot English muffin ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, pass those english muffins please! I can just imagine them with some delicious homemade jam. Yum Yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those muffins look delicious - my Sister makes them - no comparison to shop bought!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have made a lot of loaves! I was always hankering after sourdough bread, then we had an artisan bakery start up and, having tried the brown and the white loaves of it, I find that I don't like it at all. Odd, hmm?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.