Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Let's try that again, shall we?

Cloth by Tracy
Did you spot my deliberate mistake? Did you? It is, of course the 2014 bread challenge. I failed the 2013 one. Moving swiftly on ...

I've been baking again this week, so the "not a resolution"is holding up so far. I made another maltloaf/white mix, using 2/3 regular flour and this time while my husband declared it delicious, I thought it lacked much character at all. Might be better with wholemeal and maltloaf ... that's for another day.

I did make granary, with proper granary flour and it did just what granary bread should do, but the standout this week for me was a good old reliable soda bread. Only, instead of using my usual safe white flour version, I made the River Cottage wholemeal variation, with a tablespoon of black treacle added to it. Oh my. I swear the children actually made "yummmm!" noises which is completely unheard of with any form of non plastic bread. Mind you, it was a very late lunch and they were probably starving ...

A bit singed, but undeniably delicious!


14 comments:

  1. Things always go down well when they're hungry! It does sound absolutely delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yummy! I wish I wasn't still on a diet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wholewheat soda bread is one of my favourites! Dangerous though as I can munch my way through rather a lot of slices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wholewheat soda bread sounds utterly delicious!

    poppyinstitches@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to do this, maybe 12 loaves. One a month is more manageable for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm soda bread. Lovely warm with honey ... if I make a loaf then eat it all! it will be all your fault xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. giving children something new is always most successful when they are hungry I find..............
    looks tasty. I wonder if you can make gluten free soda bread. off to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making my mouth water just reading about it. I love soda bread - no kneading recipes are always winners in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One winter I got in the habit of baking a small round of soda bread 2 or 3 times weekly, experimenting with percentages of white and whole wheat flour. So quick, so easy, so tasty! I'll have to try adding molasses next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooo I love homemade bread, when Mr Twigs makes it, we gobble it up in no time
    twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excuse me while I clean the jam off of my computer screen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bread and jam! What a combination! My children are my biggest critics so that was high praise indeed! Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  13. My 10 year old is keen on baking bread at the moment, I'm hoping he'll try something other then a white sliced if he has made it himself. Your loaves look delish.x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Argh the torture (I'm not eating bread at the moment!) it all looks sooooo lovely - I never spotted the mistake in the other post, obviously my brain is still also in 2013 :) Bethx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.