Friday, 18 October 2013

Variations on a theme

Twilight

Most of the time the pieces I weave are based on lessons learned back when I started, or extensions from the workshops I've attended more recently. I'll see a basket in real life, or a picture and it will set my mind churning along. My plant supports very much tell me how they want to be woven, unless, of course, I've been asked for something specific.

Occasionally I'll come across a project in a book that captures my imagination; and a recent purchase, Weiden flechten by Birgit Ostergaard-Jensen, had an idea for a woven lantern that absolutely captivated me. The limited instructions are in German, translated from Danish - neither of which I speak - and the resultant lantern is a bit unfinished at the top for my tastes. So, I put the book away and set out to make my own version. Emma Silverpebble came over to try the first version - which turned out very well. A simple single spiral, a basic rod border and a Bonne Maman jar completed it.

First attempts
I couldn't stop there. The single spiral didn't really do it for me balance wise, and next I tried a zigzag weave with the hope that it would add stability without stopping the light too much. It did work, but still wasn't quite what I was after. A double spiral maybe? Ah yes, that's more like it.



Double spiral

I thought about those old fashioned Guy Fawkes type lanterns , with windows and doors - and inspired by this, my next version was much more pleasing. I also fiddled about with making a hanging attachment and I think it worked very well indeed.


Hanging lantern
Of course, the final test is the way they look when darkness falls and the candles are lit ...

Night falls

I'm ridiculously pleased with these. And having tested them and being happy that they're not about to burst into flames (though I would only use them outside and as with any candles, wouldn't leave them unattended), I've decided to put them on Etsy in case you'd like one too. Battery operated tealights would mean they could be hung up inside when it's too cold to venture out to light them.

I'm thinking these will be just as lovely in the winter as in the warmer evenings - but what about you? Do candles say autumn/winter snuggling up, or warm summer evenings sitting out with a glass of wine?

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE these so much!! I think I need to go and raid my shoe fund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snuggling up definitely and these say bonfire night to me very loudly, just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder you're ridiculously pleased with these - they are absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how much I love these! They'd be equally wonderful whatever time of year they were used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, aren't they splendid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. totes amazeballs! (or whatever you'd want to spell that...)

    fabulous dahhhhling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them, they would light any garden perfectly! Ruthx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh these are truly lanterns of loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are absolutely wonderful, you are so clever. Lovely natural materials, handmade gorgeousness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm ridiculously excited too! Will you be selling them at Made & Found?
    I think my garden might need some xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are the cleverest of cookies! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, perfect for the garden what ever the season. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so beautiful... you clever thing you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Wow -- those are adorable! They look very addictive too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Val they are stunning! I want one! Candles, hmm, autumn and bonfires or summer drinks in the garden? I'm not sure but unsurprisingly they are saying autumn to me right now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my word, Val they are fantastic!!

    You know what you just did, don't you? Guess who really does need a smelly mosquito ridden tank of willow soaking water in their garden after all?

    All that good work you did yesterday has just unravelled ;)

    Moogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. these lanterns are beautiful, i think they would make me feel very cosy in winter.
    Gill (autumnmiss2011)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Val they are beautiful. I'm glad that you kept trying to match the vision in your head and as a result came up with so many lovely variations. It is definitely the time of year of candlelight and snuggling x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wannnnnnnnt one, she wails, having discovered your shop to be empty of them. They are gorgeous Val :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, those are a little bit too impressive, too-clever-by-half lady.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are fab - no wonder you're pleased! Bethx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.