Thursday, 1 August 2013

Making memories


The last few weeks have fairly flown by in a whirl of school trips, reports, leavers' parties and end of year productions - where Tiny Small played a woman taking in evacuees and Tall Small played the part of one of those lonely children, singing her solo song so beautifully she reduced fully half the audience to tears.

But long before that, in the dim darkness of late winter when summer seemed an impossible dream, we cheered ourselves up by booking tickets for the Cambridge Folk Festival. We went for a single day last year and had a whale of a time so this year we decided to go for the full festival as it falls in the first week of school holidays.





As the website announced more and more names who'd be playing - Bellowhead! KT Tunstall!  - excitement levels grew to fever pitch until finally, finally the day arrived. Last Thursday we all piled into the car and set off for four days of sun, music, dancing and OK, a little bit of rain but we had waterproofs so didn't really care. Tiny Small was so inspired by Heidi Talbot she spent her pocket money on a purple ukulele and queued up shyly to have her music book signed and her photo taken with her heroine, and floated away on a happy little cloud afterwards.




It was wonderful. Start to finish fabulous, and as a result this Monday felt a bit like the day after Christmas. I couldn't bear to throw away my wristband and thought about turning it into a bracelet but decide I'd never actually wear it. So instead, I've turned it into a keyring and one day, when I have my own shed for pottering about in, it will be attached to the key for that. I made one for Tall Small from her wristband too - hers is destined to be an ID tag for her schoolbag.



My henna bracelet is fading but we have lots of memories - and lots of new music on our ipods. Roll on next July!




22 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back Val! The signs for the Folk Festival are still up on the A14. It sounds like you had a similar time to me at Latitude. Did you know there was a Folk East festival near Woodbridge on the August Bank Holiday? I was asked as a volunteer for the knitting tent but wasn't sure if we'd be in the country, so I'm only on the reserve list for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect summer festival'

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great summer post, (as I sit here watching the sleet). Go the Uke !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have made some wonderful, happy memories! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds fantastic! happy times x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so rubbish at organising ourselves to go to this. Shame on us. Actually, this year we did hear some of the music from our garden when the breeze was blowing in the right direction... So glad you all had much fun, Ax

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all obviously had a brilliant time, it will be one of those happy times your girls will always remember!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sounds like you are having a super summer! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds a brilliant weekend, although I have to admit that I hate camping! What great memories you've made and the wristband key-fobs will be a cheery reminder in the depths of winter of what fun you all had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh we HAVE to go next year. We have procrastinated long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lived just outside Cambridge for years and never been!!. I know live in Cornwall!! Days like that are great though and it sounds like you all had a brilliant time.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so fantastic. Maybe we should gatecrash in 2014?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cambridge isn't too far for me. Will take a look at 2014 and see if my Teens will come too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Colour me green! Ages since I've been to a proper folk fest. Glad you didn't get too wet :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, what fun! Did you camp? Hope the rest of the hols measure up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds brilliant (get the pun??)... any photos?

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting! It sounds like you had a great time. What a brilliant idea to turn your wristbands into something useful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like the perfect start to the Summer holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds fantastic! I've always wanted to go to that. We're lucky having lots of live music venues here in the South West so we get regular doses but I'd love to get the kids to a whole festival. Love your key ring idea too, nice to hold on to the memories as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds like a lot of fun - love the idea of making your wrist tag into a key ring!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fabulous! I always meant to go when I lived in Suffolk, but never quite got there. Glad you had a wonderful time. Laura x PS: Thanks for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.