Thursday, 13 September 2012

Aren't smoothies meant to be cold?

Not according to the people at Innocent - well, no, that's not entirely true. Let me rephrase it. Around this time of year there is a campaign to create little woolly hats for Innocent smoothies that will later be sold to raise money for Age UK - it's called The Big Knit and is a lot of fun. I've made a fair few little bobble hats over the years and always look forward to seeing the festive bottles on the shelves.

But I really, really don't like making pompoms. I am not good at getting them even, and more than a few have ended up falling apart because I didn't knot them tightly enough around the middle. And I DETEST sewing them on. I tried some alternative patterns (there are lots free on Ravelry) but am forced to admit that my knitting and finishing just aren't up to tiny hats. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

So, I was fiddling about one day and remembered Annie's Downton hat and a few rows of crochet later: tada! I like to think that if there were smoothies in Downton Abbey, this is what they would wear.


If you would like to make one (each takes about half an hour) here's how. It's worked in UK double crochet/US single crochet and is just one big spiral. I used Rowan Handknit cotton and a 3.5mm hook.

I make a magic ring (to avoid holes in the crown of the hat):


 and then DC 6 into the ring.


Pull the end to tighten and then proceed to work 1DC into the next stitch and 2DC into the following stitch.


Carry on increasing in every other stitch, round and round until you have a circle that's marginally larger than the lid of the smoothie bottle - for me that's about 30 stitches give or take.


Now stop increasing and make the sides of the hat - DC into each stitch until the hat sits on the bottle at a depth that pleases you - for me that's about 6 rows.


Join in a contrasting colour and continue for another 4 rows or so. I knot the new colour tightly to the end of the original colour and weave in the ends later.


It strikes me that this might make quite a cute little hat itself if the sides were shorter. Hmmm.



Finish off, weave in your ends, flatten the crown, turn up the brim and place it onto your bottle. Then make some more! I am contemplating adding little flowers but that would involve sewing them on which can only end in tears ...


PS Hope you had a good summer. We did, which is why I have not been here!

25 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Those are just tooo stinkin' cute! Necessity is the mother of invention!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they're so pretty. I'm kind of wishing I had a tiny head to be able to wear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. Now please speak to me in English...
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're gorgeous. Wish I could make one to fit my head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! They look so pretty and I love the thought of Downton Abbey Innocent bottles - terribly posh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! And you've just reminded me how excited I am about Downton coming back this Sunday. Get the wine ready....

    ReplyDelete
  7. GENIUS! To be perfectly honest the crochet stuff has no sense or meaning for me but I LOVE the results. Hmm, do I ecognise that vintage embroidery???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for doing the math (as it were!), now I can get down to making some ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh fabulous, and just right for making on Sunday nights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Val, these are so much nicer than the bobble hats and I love your colour choices. The innocent bottle with these lovelies on will be the first picked off the shelf for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss this! I LOVE these, so happy to have inspired you.

    Re. flowers, couldn't you hook them on somehow ... sorry, probably a daft suggestion, I don't really get crochet.

    I'm just loving the thought of smoothies at Downton!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally with you on the pompoms and these are just divine. I quite fancy one for myself actually!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very cute. Mr Twigs gets exasperated with me at this time of year as I buy the Innocent smoothies and hats and then try to get my guinea pigs to wear them - note to self guineas do not like wearing hats !!
    Thanks for your lovely get well wishes
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh I like your hats much better than the usual bobble hats! Now if only I could crochet... K x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute. Your blog always gives me a warm feeling. So nice. (And I wish I'd thought of trying to make tiaras for my daughters' weddings. Bought ones are ridiculously expensive!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll forgive you the bad pun on the cold/warm thing... those Downton hats are genius!

    Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! The contrast brim totally blows the plain old bobble hat out of the water. I really wish I could crochet. Just been making a last-minute batch of smoothie hats myself. I really wanted to make a knitted fez (fezes are cool) - I'm thinking crochet would be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hats for smoothies. I remember seeing these in the shops last year and thinking 'what a funny old thing to do' - all for a good cause though.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too cute! I neither knit nor crochet, but you make it look easy! I also enjoyed your comment - Artemis Fowl is a bit slow to get into, particularly for girls, perhaps, as it's a bit nerdy and gadgety. But it's worth sticking with, as the way Eoin Colfer writes about friends, family and emotional issues is fantastic, and would suit a girl just as well as a boy. I loved the series myself!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are soooo sweet. What a great campaign - 'hats off' to Innocent - sorry:-)!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these. I must get the crochet hooks out again before I forget how to crochet (again). I've never joined in the Innocent hat thing, I always thought it was just for knitters, looks fun.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's just fantastic, and very witty. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some feedback! I love reading your comments and I do my best to reply to them. If Blogger gives me your email address, or if I can find one on your blog I'll try to reply by email; otherwise I'll reply in the comments here.